Argonne National Laboratory Mechanical Engineering Specialist in Lemont, Illinois
Mechanical Engineering Specialist
Requisition Number: 404851 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: PSC-Photon Sciences
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD1
Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Provides engineering analysis, design, fabrication and installation of mechanical systems for the APS MBA straight section vacuum system and insertion devices. Supervises the fabrication, assembly, testing, and commissioning of mechanical systems. Performs analysis using commercial FEA and custom packages. Interacts with vendors to optimize technical designs and to obtain optimum cost/performance ratio. Creates 2D and 3D design drawings and expedites part fabrications through the ANL and offsite machine shops. Provides technical direction and supervision to the designers and technicians assigned to specific projects. Provides technical documents for procurement, assembly and maintenance procedures and makes presentations for design reviews. Publishes results in internal reports, journals, and conference proceedings and makes presentations at meetings, conferences, and seminars.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required.
- Knowledge and experience in the design, fabrication, assembly, and analysis of mechanical systems.
- Good knowledge of the use and application of mechanical engineering design tools including 2D and 3D CAD (preferably AutoCAD and Creo), FEA (ANSYS or COMSOL), and simulation (MATLAB or Mathematica).
- Skill in written and verbal communications for transmitting information and ideas to colleagues and through publications.
- Some knowledge and experience in the application of thermal design, fluid flow, stress analysis and machine design.
- Knowledge of fabrication methods, QC/QA requirements, procedures, and techniques.
- Skill and experience in working in project groups in order to meet project schedules and performance milestones.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.