Argonne National Laboratory Instrument Machinist in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 405012 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Facilities/Security/Waste Management Division: NWM-Nuclear and Waste Management
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): 049910 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
- Fabricates parts using electronic files (STP, CAD, DXF, Inventor, etc.) blueprints, sketches, specifications, and written or verbal instructions.
- Sets up and operates standard and computer-controlled metal working shop machines, including but not limited to lathes, horizontal and vertical mills, and similar machine tools.
- Identifies production steps needed to complete final form and finish.
- Determines correct machine, tooling, method, feed rate, and cutting speed for each setup.
- Achieves accuracy of +/- .001" and less frequently to +/-0.0001 inch.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as required.
- Must work in a manner which is safe for the employee and others in the area.
- Has limited interaction with scientific groups.
- Four-year apprenticeship or equivalent and at least 3 years experience at journeyman level.
- Desire to learn new technology.
- Knowledge and experience in operating conventional machines required
- Knowledge and experience in operating CNC machines required
- Knowledge and experience with G-Code programming required; and RAM and wire EDM machines desirable.
This job description documents the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.