Argonne National Laboratory Designer in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 404702 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Technical Support Division: PSC-Photon Sciences
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): 129650 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Under the direction of the group leader and the responsible engineer/scientist, creates drawings, checks drawings and drawing packages, uses CAD techniques to develop concept design packages which fulfill established design requirements. This includes (but is not limited to) design layout drawings, supporting calculations/documentation, material selection, welding, piping, etc., symbol usage, drawing tolerance determinations, methods of fabrication, complex assembly drawings, and effective use of GD&T to convey the design intent. Uses the above to efficiently estimate the time and cost to complete related fabrication drawings. Assists the responsible engineer/scientist in making bid/fabrication drawing packages that relay the design requirements to the vendors. Uses the benefit of 3-D experience to investigate design changes and possible improvements via viewing angle, perspective, cross sectioning and interference investigation. Must be able to work with limited supervision and frequently leads the work of other design and drafting personnel.
The Advanced Photon Source (APS) Engineering Support Division (AES) serves the APS user community by maintaining an integrated, facility-wide operations organization; by providing operational direction, guidance, coordination, and assistance to units that support the APS operation; and by assuring the safety of APS users, visitors, and personnel.
- Approximately 10 years diversified experience in producing mechanical (machine) designs for unique mechanical equipment or equivalent.
- This includes checking and preparation of original design layouts, handbook calculations, and complete fabrication drawings for 1) electro-mechanical equipment; 2) equipment support structures; 3) piping and support systems; and 4) special purpose machines such as accelerators.
- At least 3-5 years experience with a full function CAD system such as Pro/E or AutoCAD is required.
- Three dimensional (3-D) solid CAD design experience is a must, Pro/E experience preferred.
- Some knowledge of vacuum, magnet, and radio-frequency technologies is desirable. Use of personal computing type software helpful. (Excel, Word, etc.)
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.